Friday, August 20, 2010

Windows Explorer jumps up to 100% of CPU usage every 10 seconds?

I'm running W2K, SP 4 on a small, older laptop I've had for years. Recently it has started to run slowly, and I notice that Windows Explorer is constantly peaking up to near 100% of my CPU every 10 seconds. I recently switched from IE to Firefox, but this happens under either browser. I recently started using Ewido free anti-spyware in addition to my Lavasoft Ad-Aware. I recently started using AVG free anti-virus in addition to my Norton. My machine stays pretty clean, but, is there some conflict here? My hard drive is only half full. I've defragged, cleaned up temporary files, but everything still crawls. Another thing that started about the same time - I'm constantly ''losing'' my Active Desktop and having to click to restore it.



Windows Explorer jumps up to 100% of CPU usage every 10 seconds?windows



I seem to remember having this problem a while back... Well, we are talking windows 2000 right?



So, I poked around and discovered that it had something to do with my USB hub being plugged in and having a USB mouse and a USB keyboard plugged in. There was some monitoring software that kicked in every 5 to 10 seconds to check if the USB devices were still there.



In reality, it could be anything causing the CPU spike so the best thing to do is to run a software that tells you exactly who is doing it. Once you find out who is doing it, then you will know how to stop it.



  • oil pan replacement
  • why nightcreams
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment